Effective Date: July 1, 2009
Revised July 2009
Information Collection and Use
MedImmune measures the performance of its Websites in order to determine how we can improve and expand upon the content and services we provide. We have designed our Websites so that you are not required to provide any personally identifiable information unless you are requesting access to certain options and services or you are voluntarily submitting personally identifiable information to us, for example, for employment purposes or to participate in certain features or services such as The Thrive Network. We, along with our third party partners and service providers engaged to provide marketing and advertising on our behalf, only collect personally identifiable information that you voluntarily provide to us. You may choose at any time not to provide personally identifiable information, although this may restrict our ability to provide requested services or information.
The following is personally identifiable information that you may volunteer to provide to us and examples of how we use such information:
- Registration: If you complete a registration form on one of our Websites, including any forms required to submit your personally identifiable information for employment opportunities, we will use the personally identifiable information in such forms to process your request for services and information. Personally identifiable information may also be used if you request to receive certain information via fax, e-mail or postal mail. We may use this information to send you a welcome e-mail; to verify your username and password; to provide information about Website updates or special offers; and to provide other responsive information to the data you share with us. Additionally, we may refer to your personally identifiable information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our Websites.
- Questionnaires and Surveys: Personally identifiable information will be obtained from you if you choose to participate in our interactive services, including questionnaires, web surveys and blogging or other services where your personally identifiable information may be posted such as The Thrive Network. We may use this personally identifiable information to provide you with information and services for which you have expressed an interest based on your answers. Additionally, we may refer to your personally identifiable information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our Websites.
- E-mail Notifications and Newsletters: We may use information obtained from you, such as contact information (name and e-mail address), to complete your submitted request to receive specific company information, such as e-mail notifications, literature requests, and newsletter subscriptions.
- Request to Email Information to a Friend: If you elect to use our referral services and provide information for us to contact a family member or friend, we may use the personally identifiable information obtained from you regarding your family member or friend to send them a one-time e-mail inviting them to visit our Website. Personally identifiable information provided by you may also be used to inform the recipient of your (the sender's) name. We may store this information for the purpose of sending this e-mail.
- Employment Applications : Your submission of personally identifiable information for employment purposes is entirely voluntary. We may use such personally identifiable information to communicate with you in writing or by telephone or online, to evaluate your application, to analyze MedImmune staffing needs and practices, or otherwise to efficiently manage the MedImmune hiring process and employee administration. We may combine employment application data with research tools and information from other sources.
To respond to your requests or to process your information for any of the activities identified above, we may share your information with our affiliates, subsidiary companies, parent companies, business partners, or others who work for us such as service providers, vendors, contractors, and agents. If your personally identifiable information is collected anywhere on the Websites where there is not an accompanying statement limiting its use to specific purposes or where there is no choice provided regarding the handling of your personally identifiable information, MedImmune or its parents, affiliates or subsidiary companies may use your personally identifiable information to market any of the products or services offered subject to the "Choice to Opt Out" paragraph below.
To the extent you submit personally identifiable information related to a specific initiative or campaign, we may share the information with any subsequently formed affiliate dedicated to such initiative or campaign.
To the extent permitted by law, any personally identifiable information or other information collected over our Websites or concerning its use, including the content of any communication you submit or post to any interactive features on the Websites (personal and non-personal), may be disclosed to government authorities or third parties pursuant to a governmental investigation, legal request, subpoena or other legal process. We may also use or disclose your information as permitted by law to collect debts, fight fraud or protect the rights or property of MedImmune, our parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, our customers, our websites, its users or third parties, or when we otherwise believe in good faith that the law requires it.
Posting to Any Interactive Publicly Viewable Features on MedImmune Websites
Any communication you submit or that may be posted to any publicly viewable interactive feature such as a blog is a public communication and may be viewed by the general public. Therefore, you acknowledge and understand that you have no expectation of privacy or confidentiality in the content you submit to such services over our Websites, whether or not it includes personally identifiable information about you. If you display your personally identifiable information in any communication submitted to such services or features, other individuals may collect and use your personally identifiable information. We are not responsible for, nor can we guarantee the protection of, any personally identifiable information you disclose in a communication submitted to such services or features for posting or contained in an email submitted to us for such posting, and thus, you acknowledge that if you disclose personally identifiable information in any such material, you do so at your own risk.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information: This refers to information that does not, by itself, identify a specific individual. We gather certain information about the use of our Websites by our visitors. This information is then compiled and analyzed in a way that does not identify our visitors personally. The information may include the referring Uniform Resource Locator (URL), indicating from where a visitor to our Websites has come, which URLs have been visited on our Websites and in what order, what browser is being used, and what Internet Protocol (IP) address a visitor used to get to our Websites. We may also use such information for Website and system administration.
- Linked Websites: We sometimes provide links to third party Websites. You acknowledge that such links are provided for your convenience only and do not constitute an endorsement by MedImmune of such third party Websites. Since we do not control these Websites, we assume no responsibility for the privacy practices of such Websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies posted on those, and all, third party Websites.
We may store personally identifiable information we collect about you in the United States or we may transfer it to any other country. The data protection laws in countries to which such personally identifiable information is transferred, including the United States, may or may not provide a level of protection equivalent to the laws in your home country. Wherever we hold the data, we will apply the terms of this Notice and that applicable data protection law.
Protecting Your Information
The personally identifiable information you provide online is retained for no longer than is reasonably necessary, depending on the purpose for which it is held, and is electronically stored on a secure server. We provide reasonable protections for the personally identifiable information you share with us. Access to your personally identifiable information is limited to MedImmune and its affiliate employees and third party partners, service providers and agents, all of whom are required to keep your information confidential. MedImmune does not sell, loan, trade or lease any personally identifiable information collected on our Websites to unrelated third parties for their own purposes.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure proper use of your personally identifiable information, MedImmune and its third party partners employ appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online, consistent with industry practices. However, MedImmune does not warrant or represent that its level of security meets or exceeds any specific standards. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is 100% secure or error-free nor is stored data free from vulnerabilities.
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 18. If we learn that we have personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 18 we will delete that information. If you are under the age of 18 and wish to register to obtain further information or be included in a survey, your parent or legal guardian must register.
Choice to Opt-In
We would like to send you information about our company and our products if you wish to receive such information. When you register on one of our Websites, you will generally be given the choice to 'opt-in' to receiving such information from our Websites, but if opt-in choice is not provided, you may opt-out of marketing communications at anytime as described below.
Choice to Opt-Out
If at any subsequent time, you wish to stop receiving e-mail or postal mail from us, or to have your name and other personally identifiable information removed from our Websites, visit our unsubscribe page. If you have any questions relating to your choice to 'opt-out' at any time, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Corporate Change of Control or Sale of Assets
In the event of a corporate change in control resulting from, for example, a sale to, or merger with, another entity, or in the event of a sale of assets or a bankruptcy, MedImmune reserves the right to transfer your personally identifiable information to the new party in control or the party acquiring assets.
How Can You Ask Questions or Raise Concerns?
If you have other questions or concerns about our privacy policies or data use, or wish to change your options, e-mail us at email@example.com.